Home > Ask Our Experts > Would a Chiropractor Help a Frozen Shoulder?

Would a Chiropractor Help a Frozen Shoulder?

By: Additional Article - Updated: 29 Dec 2012 | comments*Discuss
Frozen Shoulder Shoulder Joint


My wife suffers from a frozen shoulder she has had this problem for about 2 months, she has seen her doctor and visited A&E. She has been given pain killers and been told that is all they can do for her. She is diabetic and has anginer and does not want to keep taking pain killers.

Would a chiropractor be of help and how do we find one?

(Mr peter harmour, 9 September 2010)


A frozen shoulder occurs when the tissues surrounding the capsule of the shoulder becomes inflamed. This causes the tissues to thicken and eventually bond with each other leaving the sufferer less able to move the joint and often in a lot of pain.

For some people, simple painkillers are enough to ease the pain and allow them some movement in the joint, whilst others find that over time the painkillers are not as effective or the loss of mobility gets worse. In these instances seeking an alternative therapy is often a good idea and a chiropractor may be able to help.

Chiropractors are specialised health care workers who try and encourage the body to use it's own resources to heal itself following injury or trauma. Their practice involves using their hands to gently manipulate the body and increase the flow and efficiency of the nervous system. The aim of this is to ease stiffness, pain and problems with mobility at the same time encouraging the individual to become more self-aware and make adjustments to their lifestyle, diet and exercise regimes as necessary.

In the instance of a frozen shoulder, most chiropractors advocate early intervention for the best results before the scar tissues become too severe. When this happens the person may not be able to tolerate much manipulation as the pain is too great or the damage already too severe.

It is very likely that you have a reputable chiropractor in your local area and it may be worth either asking your GP for a recommendation or at least a letter explaining your clinical diagnosis or having a look in your local telephone directory for a specialist; it may be possible to find one who specialises with shoulder problems and injuries.

Chiropractic care can be expensive however and may require your wife to attend several appointments before she feels much benefit so make sure you know exactly how much each session is going to cost, how long it lasts and how many sessions are likely to be needed.

Good luck in your search and we hope your wife finds some relief from her symptoms soon.

You might also like...
Share Your Story, Join the Discussion or Seek Advice..
Why not be the first to leave a comment for discussion, ask for advice or share your story...

If you'd like to ask a question one of our experts (workload permitting) or a helpful reader hopefully can help you... We also love comments and interesting stories

(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
(never shown)
Enter word:
Latest Comments
  • rAY
    Re: Dehydrated Discs
    hI THERE, I have Dyhydration L3/l4 and ll4/l5 and disprotrusion and sequestrated discu after MRI i am aged 52. I had hip pain all night for 3…
    3 April 2019
  • UKez
    Re: A Spinal Tap Caused My Back Pain
    Hi . I also had a spinal Tap to check the stages of a bleeiding in my brain. This has caused me serious back pain almost…
    3 July 2018
  • BackPainExpert
    Re: Dehydrated Discs
    Alex - Your Question:I am a 27 yr old male who up until last year was working 84-108 hrs/week and always had back problems but all the doctors I…
    23 May 2018
  • Alex
    Re: Dehydrated Discs
    I am a 27 yr old male who up until last year was working 84-108 hrs/week and always had back problems but all the doctors i had seen told me its…
    16 May 2018
  • Salsybar
    Re: Stem Cell Repair and Back Problems
    Hi I have annulus bulges at c4 -c5- c6 I have disc dessication,bulges , minmally prominent of the spinal cord t6-t7 t7-t8…
    9 May 2018
  • malky
    Re: Back Pain: Information for Employers
    I've enjoyed reading all your stuff and hope the stem cell injections come on to the market soon as I've been off work 5…
    8 May 2018
  • Jeeva
    Re: Spinal Dislocation
    My friend have pain in lumbar region. It cause breathing effects during sleeping.in MRI scan it shows that there is a dislocation in lumbar region
    17 April 2018
  • Agsmith78
    Re: A Spinal Tap Caused My Back Pain
    I had a spinal tap 3 years ago and still suffering from back, hip and left leg pain along with occasional weakness. Nothing…
    5 April 2018
  • Rubi
    Re: Stem Cell Repair and Back Problems
    What are the 2 basic functions of the spine?
    24 March 2018
  • Kumar
    Re: Dehydrated Discs
    What is the surgical procedure of disc dehydration
    9 March 2018